Saturday, February 11, 2006

danica's best chocolate cake

This is a combination of three or four recipes. Words can't do it justice. It would be excellent for Valentines Day.

I cup flour
1/4 cup + 2tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup hot water

raspberry jam

8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream

Cake - Combine flour, cocoa, soda, and salt in a small bowl. Sift or mix well with a whisk.
In a large bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar. Add vanilla and eggs. Mix well. Blend in flour mixture.
Pour hot water over batter and mix until smooth.
Bake in a 9 inch round pan in a 350 oven for 30-35 minutes.

Cool cake.

Slice into two layers and spread raspberry jam in between. (Takes quite a bit - the cake really absorbs it)

Place cake on a cooling rack (over some paper or a plate to catch drips) and pour Ganache over top.
To make Ganache: Chop the chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan to boiling. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until all of the chocolate is melted and very smooth.
Cool slightly, stirring frequently, then pour evenly over cake, coating all sides.
Cool.
Transfer to plate.
Devour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

droooooool, Danica
I've made this for my Valentine tonight. I added an extra couple layers (whipped cream) by baking it in two 8" rounds instead of one 9" then cutting them in half. I'll let you know how it turned out - it sure looks good!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Matthew Grunert said...

I love this cake. It is the reason I married Danica. There is no cake greater than this cake. (NOTE: Danica NEVER EVER makes this cake EVER even though its the BEST. I guess when the cooks on a diet the whole house is).

11:02 PM  
Blogger D said...

Whatever honey. I just know that if I bake something I'll be the only one eating it.

Matt says my baking is great, but he's much more interested in chips. Sacrilege!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home